Monday, October 31, 2011

Tick Bite

My father has been outside a lot lately, and it is fall-time...typical tick weather where he lives!! Well, last week he ended up getting bitten by a tick. It was on his forearm, and when my mother went to pull it off, its head remained embedded in his skin. I don't know if they noticed it then or if it was a few days later, but the tell-tale red bull's eye mark of Lyme disease showed up in a circle around the tick bite. My father was at a doctor's office the next morning, where the doctor was able to remove the rest of the tick and gave a my father a hefty dose of antibiotics. Because they caught it early, the doctor was quite confident that the disease was stopped in its tracks and my father would be fine. I am very grateful that my parents did not decide to 'wait it out and see what happens'. Lyme disease is an awful illness, and can cause so many problems...some irreversible... if allowed to run its course.
Please...watch out for ticks, try to prevent the bites, and be on the look out for that bull's eye rash!

No comments:

Post a Comment