Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Egyptian Walking Onions

These little onions are among the best in garden additions to a homestead! Hardy, prolific, and great tasting...what's not to love?

They are hardy from New England to the Gulf of Mexico...I imagine most places, actually. In my book, 'hardy' means forgiving, but still thriving. It means that the tomatoes and peppers get watered, but I don't even think of watering the onions. And they don't seem to mind!

By prolific, I mean they like to reproduce. They do this in two ways. First off, in either fall or spring, I take the bulb clusters and break them up. Each little bulb will be a whole new cluster of onions by next fall, and should produce anywhere from six to twelve little bulbs, sometimes more. Egyptian Walking Onions also reproduce by flowering and then producing tiny bulbets where the flower was. As the bulbets get bigger, they pull down the stem and plant themselves in the ground...hence the name, 'Walking Onion'.

The green tops or bulbs can be eaten any time. They are great for salads, sandwiches, sushi, omelets, or what have you. Some folks store the onion bulbs inside the house for future use, but I haven't done it. Our winters are mild here, so the onions keep just fine in the garden until I need them.

These onions lend themselves so well to the homesteading lifestyle! If you don't have some already, try to find some and get them in your ground...or even a pot...when possible. If you know me personally and want some of these onions, ask me and I will try to get some to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment