Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Gluten in the House

I had a thought this morning about wheat gluten. I am allergic to hay and grasses, but I don't eat them. So I got to thinking...I probably should avoid inhaling wheat as well! That means...if wheat is to be ground into flour on our homestead, the mill has to be brought outside for the process! And, the mill has to stay outside when it is cleaned with the brush as well. I think that will help to keep it out of my system even better.

I have been following the gluten-free diet faithfully, and while I haven't noticed a difference in my sinuses or allergic reactions, my energy seems to have picked up and I seem to be thinking more clearly. I have also started a very low dose of thyroid medicine for hypothyroidism, so my improvement may be due to that as I started it the same time I dropped the wheat gluten.

My husband gets his allergy blood test results next Monday. I am expecting him to have a gluten sensitivity if not an out and out allergy, but time will tell. However, our children have been put on notice that if dad also needs to go gluten free, then we are going to become a gluten free household! Most of them are not thrilled at the prospect, but oh, well. Genetically speaking, I am thinking that if both my husband and I have problems with gluten, then they are all ripe candidates for for the same!

So, I am going to start experimenting with millet and amaranth, and I still eat rice. I enjoy vegetables, so I really haven't been suffering with this change of diet and reduction in grains. HOWEVER...gluten-free blueberry pancakes and pizza crust will have to be figured out!

No comments:

Post a Comment