Friday, November 25, 2011

Painting the Horse Trailer

Several years ago we bought a used horse trailer. It was red, sort of, with white splotches and rust from where the former owners had gotten it ready to paint. It was UGLY, but it hauled the animals around nicely.
But. I got sick of looking at it the way it was, and decided to paint it. Now, I didn't have many of the things one should have when properly painting a metal horse trailer. But, I did have oomph and aggravation. And a wire brush. And some masking tape. And a couple cans of oil-based paint suitable for painting metal. And...I had a couple smooth finish paint rollers. So, I got busy prepping, scrubbing off any loose paint and rusty areas. And then I starting painting with my rollers. The end result...a hunter green horse trailer with a white top and trim! It looks GREAT!
Do you have a livestock trailer that looks terrible but can't afford what it takes to get it done right? I spent about $50 and a couple afternoons, and I am so glad I did it. The paint job may not last forever, but it looks SO MUCH better than it did! I also know that the paint will help protect our trailer from further rust damage. I need to take a picture and get it on here so you can see it for yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment