Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Is it Real Honey?

Twice in less than a week, people have brought up to me that some of what is being sold in stores that looks like honey...isn't honey! Or, it isn't pure honey.

A friend of mine was telling me how she was in a store not too long ago, and saw a young mother buying a little plastic honey bear filled with what appeared to be honey. My friend thought the price was really low, and when she read the ingredients, it was mostly high fructose corn syrup, and the last ingredient was honey. No wonder the price was low! She asked the young mother if she thought that she was buying honey, and the lady said "Yes." My friend told her to read the ingredients.

I am surprised that some unscrupulous people would sell counterfeit honey, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Very tricky to put it in a bottle that has always indicated the contents are pure honey! Either they don't realize there is a huge difference between the sweet syrups...or they don't care. Anything to make money. At least they are labeling it accurately, I suppose.

The best honey you can buy will come from a local farm that harvests the honey from their own hives, filters it, and then sells it raw. Or, just sells it in the comb. Hard to counterfeit that! The price is worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment