Monday, November 14, 2011

Fourth Allergy Appointment

Well...I had my follow-up appointment today to go over the results of my skin tests, blood tests, and CT scan.

First off, the CT showed what I already suspected, which is a sinus infection in my left sinus, plus a few air pockets beside it that were also inflamed. Seeing as how it has been very sensitive/painful for YEARS, I was not surprised. I have had two courses of antibiotics in the past prescribed by my family doctor. The first one seemed to help, but the second course did not. This sinus rests is directly above one of my molars that has also been very sensitive and painful. I originally talked to my dentist about it, who offered to do a root canal though they could not find anything wrong with my tooth, though it does have a large filling. I knew it was more of a sinus problem than a tooth problem, because every time I would try to go off Allegra, I would end up with a painful tooth for days that would be partially relieved by decongestants and going back on the Allegra. I do use Sensodine toothpaste, and that helps some as well.

For my skin tests, I am quite allergic to oak pollen, black willows, molds, rag weed, various grass pollen, roaches, and dust mites. No surprises there.

The surprise came with my blood tests, that showed I have a sensitivity to gluten. Huh??? The doctor said "I don't make this recommendation to many patients, but for you, I think you should not eat gluten anymore." Apparently, when I eat gluten, my body sees it as an intruder and I have a decent amount of antibodies to it. Not enough for it to declare all-out war...more that it makes my body 'grouchy'. Hmm. Gluten-free means some major changes in my diet, and I am still trying to process this information. Wow.

I will begin serum shots in about two weeks to see if they will help reduce my allergies that showed up with the skin tests. My husband began his serum shots today, and got one in each upper arm. The allergy office made him wait 30 minutes before he was allowed to leave to make sure he did not have an adverse reaction to the serum. He said that tonight, his arms are a little sore in the deep muscle, but to look at his arms there is no visible evidence that he he got any injections.

No comments:

Post a Comment