Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Canned Salmon

I have started to be on a bit of a canned salmon kick! I live nowhere near where any salmon run, so I have been buying canned salmon...14.75 oz wild Alaska pink salmon.
Its good stuff. I used to not like it, because it has the skin and bones in it. Finally, I took someone else's advice and just mixed it all up together, and I agree with them...I can't even tell the bones and skin are there. Well...I do remove the vertebra bones. Those just don't mix up well enough to 'disappear'. But, the rest of the bones just finish disintegrating as I mix.
I make the expected salmon patties, but I have included it in Alfredo, and last weekend my son made up a great salmon salad with mayo and homemade sweet relish.

Ingredients are pink salmon, salt. That's it. For a canned product, it appears to be quite nutritious! 80 calories per 1/4 cup, 25% rda of protein, 6% potassium, 10% calcium, 2% iron, and 1 gram of omega-3 per serving.

I have been paying around $2 a can for the pink salmon, 14.75 oz size. The label says '7 servings per container'...but I make about 4 good sized patties from one can.

Ok...another reason why the canned salmon has me a little excited...the expiration dates! This stuff stays in the can for 5 years and it is still ok! The can I have right here beside me expires July 2016. I totally plan to stock up, and rotate out the cans to keep them fresh. In the event of an emergency...bad storm, natural disaster, or who knows what, this is something I definitely want plenty of in the pantry!

No comments:

Post a Comment