Sunday, November 6, 2011

Meatballs and Homemade Spaghetti For Dinner

So I have this new piece of stoneware that I'm not sure how to use. I thought about this a good bit yesterday and decided to use it for meatballs since my mom gave us some ground beef. All day long, I kept thinking about homemade meatballs and spaghetti for dinner. Finally, around 4:00 pm I started to make my meatballs.

I put in one fresh farm egg; fresh rolled organic oats; pizza seasoning and then the ground beef. I mixed well with my hands and then rolled out meatballs about one inch in diameter. I placed 12 of them in my small ridged baker and baked for 30 minutes at 375. Now I know that I could have put them in the microwave and they would have been done in 12 minutes, but that is not my style of cooking. At 4:45, I loaded my second set into the oven and decided to think about noodles.

I asked JAB if we still had two packages of spaghetti noodles in the pantry. To my disappointment, he replied no.

Oh boy! What am I going to do for dinner? I have 24 meatballs almost done and another six ready to go into the oven and I have no noodles! Not good since we live 30 minutes from a store.

I have my manual pasta maker, but I really did not want to go to that much trouble. As I pondered this problem, I realized that my DLX has a pasta attachment that I have never used. I located all of the parts which also included a recipe that was just a little different than the one for my manual pasta maker. This recipe was 500 grams (by weight) of durum flour, 5 eggs and 3 teaspoons oil. I used extra light olive oil. All I had to do was put these ingredients in my bowl and turn the DLX on high for about three to five minutes. I had a dough ball formed. I then removed the bowl from the base and attached the pasta attachment. Next, I put the dough into the machine one small ball at a time. Each ball was egg shaped and about 3/4 inch by 1.5 inch. With one recipe, we ended up with enough spaghetti to feed my family of seven and we had just a little left over for the dogs.

To cook the noodles, I cut them to the length that I wanted and put them in a pot of boiling water with just a touch of EVOO. I boiled them uncovered for 15 minutes. Once they were strained, I served them with the appropriate number of meatballs for each person and sauce and everyone had a great tasting and nutritious dinner. And yes, each member of my family really liked the noodles!

If you have questions about how to make your own pasta, just ask!

Happy Cooking!

1 comment: