Thursday, November 3, 2011

My Chickweed is Back!

I can't say the thought of colder weather enthralls me, but I AM very happy to see that my chickweed is up and doing well! This is the 'weed' that last spring I was ripping out of my garden, handful after lush handful. What a waste, but I didn't know! This year, things are different. I know it is healthy and nutritious. I know it can be eaten raw or cooked. And, I know that it is DELICIOUS!

Typing 'chickweed' into a search engine brings up all kinds of chickweed pills and seeds and health food stuff. It also brings up numerous pages for killing it in the lawn and garden. Clearly, there are two camps when it comes to chickweed.

It is very important to positively identify anything before trying to eat it. It takes practice, but with time you learn what identifying characteristics to look for, and what sets a particular plant apart from another. The internet is a great source for this info, and there are some really good wild plant identification books out there, such as the Audubon series, and the Peterson Field guides.

I will tell you that chickweed, raw, tastes just like corn silk! I confess I haven't tried it cooked, yet. It has just now started growing nicely and there hasn't been enough to gather for that. I have heard it tastes similar to spinach in flavor, and when I try it, I will let you know how it is. I like cooked spinach, I like raw chickweed...so I suspect I will also really enjoy the cooked chickweed!

No comments:

Post a Comment