Friday, November 18, 2011

Fiskars Loppers and a Sawzall for Butchering

Through the years of butchering animals, I have discovered two really useful tools that help make the process go a little quicker.

The first is my ever-handy Fiskars 17 inch power gear loppers. These work very well for quickly cutting through leg bones and vertebra. I suppose other loppers will work, but I am rather attached to my orange-handled friend!

The other tool for cutting through bone quickly is a Sawzall. I have cut through beef femurs with these things, and they do a great job. I make sure I have human helpers when using a Sawzall to process an animal, to keep things more stable when cutting.

It is best to make sure the tools are very sharp before starting. And, of course...make sure you start with washed tools as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment