Thursday, December 1, 2011

Homestead Essential-Wood Stove

If you live in the country or a place where it ever gets cold enough to turn on a heater, I highly suggest you have a wood stove in working condition, installed and ready to go.

A wood stove is an effective way to heat the home. I like the heat generated by a wood stove much better than central heating. Its nice to sit down beside the stove when I am a little chilly, read a book, and warm up. Our little wood stove generates enough heat to warm our entire house. Actually...it does better than that, because the bedrooms are far enough away from the wood stove so they are left a little cooler and sleeping is more comfortable!

Most, even the smaller models, have a top surface area large enough to put a pot for cooking. Ours is small, like I said, but we reheat leftovers on it and could cook on it in a pinch.

It bothers me if someone could have a wood stove...but they choose not to have one, for whatever reason. "Its messy." "It costs too much." "Too much work to cut and haul the wood."
I suppose these reasons do have some merit, but in the event of an emergency when power goes out and it is cold outside...our little wood stove just keeps on working without batting a proverbial eyelash!

Did I mention you can toast marshmallows inside your house all winter long???


No comments:

Post a Comment