Friday, December 2, 2011

Homestead Essential-Water Source

If at all possible on your homestead, it is best to have independent access to some kind of a water source. A pristine spring bubbling out of the ground is out of the reach for most of us, but many people can and have come up with some reliable way to have a water source. We have expanded a tiny pond that was on the property when we moved here, and I dug a shallow well. The water table is fairly high on our property, so at 17 feet down I have a reliable well, complete with hand pump. We don't drink the water, but we could if we treated it. I have to prime the pump each time I use it, and occasionally I have pumped out a very surprised looking frog!
Water is so essential, and while I appreciate the water we get from our county well, I don't want to have to rely entirely on it as the sole source for this life necessity. And I don't want a well that I can't get my water from if the power goes out. If you are thinking about buying a piece of property, please think seriously about buying one with an independent source of water. If you currently have a homestead but no independent water source, please consider finding a way to have one.

No comments:

Post a Comment