Friday, December 23, 2011

Warning for a New Wood Stove

Here is one little thing you should do if you ever purchase a new wood stove. They are covered in chemicals and new paint which give off some nasty fumes the first time the stove has a decent fire inside of it. So that you don't fumigate your home, I highly suggest you start a fire in your new wood stove outside before you permanently install it in your house.
When we bought our wood stove years ago, we had read about this, and so my husband did start a small fire in it as it was sitting on the side walk. Apparently, the fire was not hot enough to burn off the residue. Later after the stove was in the house and the temperature outside was dropping, my husband started a real fire in it...and when the metal got hot, it smoked like crazy! I was not home at the time, and came home to a very fumey house with all the windows open! My husband said that by the time I got there, the situation was much improved. So...now you have been warned! Build a real fire in any new wood stove BEFORE you bring it inside!

No comments:

Post a Comment