Sunday, December 25, 2011

How to make a Poached Egg

I can remember eating poached eggs growing up and loving them.  I can also remember my mom 'fussing' over how hard it was to make them.  I recently had a 'hankering' for one and decided to see how hard it really was to make them.  First, I put in about four inches of water in my pot.  Then I added vinegar to help the egg whites stay together.  Next I added a bit of salt and when I had a 'rolling' boil, I put the egg in the pot.  Much to my surprise, the egg white whet EVERYWHERE and my poached egg looked very sad!

I made a second egg the same way and then pretended that I liked the end results as I ate my breakfast. 

After a bit, I called my mom and went down memory lane with her about how she would stress over making poached eggs and how it 'seemed' like it would be so easy but the reality:  it was not!  Mom and dad talked and did not know what I was talking about.  Finally after a bit of conversation, we all realized that mom was stressed over making 'soft boiled' eggs, not poached eggs!  Then mom explained to me 'how' to make poached eggs, CORRECTLY.  :)

So here is how I now make my poached eggs:  put about 3/4 of an inch of water in a sauce pan.  Get it to boiling and add salt.  If you want to add vinegar, go ahead, but lately I have not been doing so and I am pleased with the results; next add your egg and cover.  Turn your stove down to a medium heat...so it will still boil, but not boil over and cook until your yoke is they way you like it. 

I personally like my yoke firm with a little soft spot.  By poaching my eggs, I can cook three at a time very quickly and not add unwanted oil to my eggs.  Of course, if you cook your eggs in virgin coconut oil, you are now adding a GREAT flavor and a HEALTHY oil to your eggs.  I just happen to be out right now so poaching is perfect for me...right now!

No comments:

Post a Comment