Monday, December 5, 2011

Cheese Making...Don't Be Afraid!

Cheese making...and eating...is a time honored tradition and privilege. If you have been reading my posts for any length of time, by now you have figured out that I prefer to keep things pretty simple. My cheese making skills and experience definitely fall into that category! I have made ricotta, cottage cheese, and mozzarella cheeses with no problems. I more or less follow the recipes and instructions...never exactly to a 'T', but close enough to where I get my desired results.
I have only made cheese from our goat milk, and my recipe book is a wonderful book by Mary Jane Toth. The book is entitled 'Goats Produce Too! The Udder Real Thing, Volume 2' and it goes over the simplest of cheese recipes to those that are quite involved. It also has other goat milk recipes like fudge, sauces, ice cream, and how to can goat milk, and some not for eating, but for using...it even has a recipe for goat milk paint!
If you have wanted to try cheese making but have been hesitant, I suggest you get this book and get moving! I found that projects that are on a back burner tend to stay there much too long, while the business of life just keeps on marching anyway. Cheese making is fun and rewarding, and a great way to use up the extra milk!

No comments:

Post a Comment