Friday, October 14, 2011

Versatile Tortillas!!! Arriba!!

These are SO SIMPLE and quick to make, better tasting and better for you than what you can buy at the store! I can't even tell you the last time I bought tortillas!

Whole Wheat Tortillas

2 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2/3 cup warm water

Mix flour, salt and baking powder. Cut/mix in EVOO until...well...I mix with my pastry cutter for about 30 seconds or less. Works fine! Then add 1/2 cup warm water and mix until dough can be gathered in a ball, adding more water sparingly if needed. Let dough rest 10-15 minutes.
I never make less than three batches at a time, so by the time I mix up the last one, the first is ready to be rolled! Divide into 6-8 pieces and shape into balls...for smaller tortillas, make more balls.Warm up your ungreased skillet(s) at this time. Cast iron is far and away my favorite for this! Roll out each ball on lightly floured surface until more-or-less round and as thick as...a tortilla. Cook in ungreased skillet over medium -high heat about a minute on each side, or until lightly browned. I stack them on top of each other on a plate until they are all done, then serve them warm...they are nice and flexible.
I love the versatility of homemade tortillas, and how quick they are to make! About 30 minutes for 3 batches, from start to finish. I have never experimented with adding herbs to the mix, but I think it may be on the agenda someday! Also...at the end of the meal if there are any left, then they are for dessert as well. We simply drizzle them with honey and then sprinkle them with cinnamon. Tortillas also make great grilled cheese sandwiches! Some folks even cut the raw dough into strips and cook them in soup for noodles.

And...something new my son tried last week, and it works WONDERFULLY! He used tortilla dough in place of pizza dough!! He just mixed up a few batches of tortilla dough, rolled it directly onto the pizza pans, and proceeded to make pizza! It was really good, and so simple!

1 comment:

  1. My son would also like to add that it is best to not let the pizza cool on the pan it was cooked on, or it will stick. He said if you are eating it right away, then it will be fine. Otherwise, transfer it to another plate.

    ReplyDelete