Sunday, October 9, 2011

Fresh Eggs ...Part Two

Fresh eggs don’t peel easily, and there is a reason for this. When an egg is laid, it has a high moisture content. An egg’s shell is porous, and as the days go by, the water content in the egg reduces as evaporation occurs. When this happens, the mass of the egg shrinks, causing the egg to pull away slightly from the shell. So…a fresh boiled egg generally acts like it is glued to its shell when you try to peel it, while an egg that is boiled at a week old or older will peel much easier.

Knowing this does not make a fresh egg any easier to peel, unless you have an Aunt Mimi, or have a friend with an Aunt Mimi. I fall into the latter category, and will pass on most of what my friend’s aunt told us one Easter when we were discussing the peeling of fresh eggs. I say most of, because forgive me Ms. Mimi…I think what I am about to pass on is why your method works, and will refrain from typing out the rest because I think it is irrelevant. I also confess that I can’t remember the other stuff you said! But…anyway. Instructions. Get a pin, and put a small hole in the large side of the egg. This is where the air sac is. Try not to puncture the membrane when you put the hole in the shell, so the egg white does not leak out. Put your eggs in the pan with water to cover, and add a splash of vinegar in case some of the egg white does leak, as this will keep the leakage to a minimum. Boil as normal, cool…and then peel!

No comments:

Post a Comment