Monday, October 24, 2011

Third Allergy Appointment

Well, technically this appointment may not exactly count as the third allergy appointment because it was for my husband! But, it is with the same allergist, and we found out some more information that I will pass on to you.

First off, the allergist asked about digestion issues and heartburn, as both can be the results of allergies! It was interesting to learn that something eaten can also result in sinus problems...running nose, post nasal drip, itchy red eyes, etc. From something a person eats! Hmm.

The scratch tests and the intradermal injection tests are to check for allergic reactions to inhaled allergens. The blood tests are to test for food allergies. While one can receive immunity through serum shots to inhaled allergens, there are no shots for food allergies. Food that a person is allergic to must simply be avoided. We asked the nurse practionioner why food allergies can't be treated with serum injections the same way as inhaled allergies and she gave a roundabout explanation that basically said "I have no real idea why." Well, ok. I can live with that answer, I guess.

And bummer...my husband is allergic to dogs and cats! Guess I will make a bigger point of keeping the doberman OFF his pillow! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment