Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Second Allergy Appointment

Well, yesterday I got the skin scrape tests and intradermal tests done to determine what makes me have an allergic reaction. What fun! First I had to be off my antihistamines for 72 hours, to make sure I reacted to the tests. Some folks forget and take antihistamines anyway, and then they can't be tested as the results will be innaccurate.

For the skin scrape tests, the tech numbered 60 spots on my back in tidy little rows with a magic marker. Then using little individual plastic scraper thingies that were dipped in various allergen solutions, he made a little scrape at each number. Now my husband went through this process a few years ago, and it didn't bother him much. For me, it felt like the tech was slicing my back with a razor blade. 60 TIMES! Maybe its because I am a not big person, at all. At any rate, after 60 both the tech and I breathed a sigh of relief. Only. I didn't really react to any of the scrapes, except the control scrape which he said everyone reacts to.

So, onto the intradermal allergy tests! For this, he marked 14 numbers on my inner arm between my elbow and wrist, and at each site he injected a mixture of allergens between my layers of skin, making a little bubble, or blister-looking pocket. The needle going in did not hurt except the sites near my elbow crease...those were sensitive. Other than that, I didn't feel the needle going in. I did, however, feel when he injected the liquid...that stung, but only for a few seconds. This process bothered me less than the skin scrapes, for discomfort. Now these allergen injections...I did react to! I looked like a rabid woodpecker had attacked my arm...the injection sites became red and swollen, like little stings. What the allergists are looking for are the swelling reactions, and they did not have to look very hard to find them. I am allergic to numerous grass and tree pollens, dust mites, roaches, ash...everything they tested me EXCEPT dogs and cats. I was happy about that!

Last night, there was no sensitivity on my back...its like the scrape tests were never done, not a mark to be found or felt. My arm still would be an interesting read for anyone familiar with Braille.

This week, I have to go get the CT scan done of my left sinus, and blood drawn to test me for food allergies. I am not expecting them to find any food allergies, but I am expecting them to find something interesting in my sinus, like a persistent infection, or maybe even the remains of the broccoli and cheese I accidentally inhaled when I was 12 and my brother made me laugh during supper. My mother didn't serve broccoli and cheese for a LONG time after that. So, anyway...I will keep you posted as I continue to have allergy appointments!

No comments:

Post a Comment