Monday, October 3, 2011

The Benefits of Goat Shows

For my son and several friends, dairy goat show season is here! It is fall and fairs are in full swing. I don't personally choose to show, but I do believe that dairy goat shows have helped to improve some aspects of the dairy goat breeds, though Nubians aren't any any quieter or brighter! :)

When showing, body type, condition, age, and conformation all contribute to the overall score of the animal. However, being dairy, the biggest part of the score is the udder, which is what all the rest of the body is supporting. Udders and 'milky' lines have come a long way, with production amount and length of lactation improving through the years. This is a benefit to a homestead, as it is easier on the body of a doe to lactate several years in a row than to have to give birth every year to freshen. One of my Saanens lactated for four years, and only stopped because I dried her off, wanting a doe kid out of her. Let's hope she is pregnant! Her niece, a Saanen Nubian cross, has been lactating steadily for over three years now.

So...some folks enjoy the hoopla surrounding the shows...the stress, excitement, hope for winning premiums and titles on members of the herd to increase value. Its just not for me, but I do realize there is a benefit of the shows that I and anyone else who owns well-bred dairy goats have reaped...increased performance for the homesteader!

No comments:

Post a Comment