Tuesday, October 11, 2011

First Allergy Appointment

Well...yesterday I had my first appointment with the allergist. It was mostly information gathering. Family history of allergies and illness, my own history of all medications, infections, surgeries. I have an appointment for a CT scan of my left nasal sinus cavity, as it has given me trouble for years, manifesting itself as a intensely sensitive tooth. I also have to get my blood drawn this week to check for food sensitivities, and I think they will be testing some vitamin levels, my thyroid, and I can't remember what else. And then, next Monday, I go back to the doctor's office for the skin scratch tests. They will scratch my skin with various allergens to see how sensitive I am to each one. For that I must be off my allergy medication for 72 hours prior to the test. Seeing as how I live daily on Allegra, this will be a challenge!

I am impressed with this allergy office, as they realize that allergies can manifest themselves in many different ways, and wreak havoc with any body system. They realize that ALL body systems are connected, and they do not simply want to medicate me, but to find out what is causing the symptoms in the first place. They also realize the importance of supplements...specifically B-12, Vitamin D, and omega 3. I will keep you posted as I continue with my new venture going to the allergy doctor!

No comments:

Post a Comment