Thursday, October 13, 2011

A Tribute to My Friend

There is a lady I have been friends with for years...since I was six years old! She is the one who taught me how to spin, and helped arrange for 'Santa' to bring me my first spinning wheel (I was in my thirties so I knew it wasn't really Santa). She is also responsible for getting me into goats, and gave me my Saanens. She has enriched my garden with herbs, vegetables, and flowers. I would like to take this opportunity to thank her for sharing her time, resources, and knowledge with me through the years! Thanks Mrs. A!!

The following are some tips she sent to me when she read my blog posts recently...

I've found the best way to hardboil fresh eggs is to steam them. I got this tip from my homestead site. Just put them into a steamer basket and steam them for 20-25 mins., empty the water and give the pan a good shake to crack the shells, then fill the pan with cold water. I keep changing the water until the eggs have cooled enough to handle. The shells slip right off; even from eggs fresh from the barn!

And the tip about soaping the bottom of a pot to make it easier to clean? It works very well on your stove top too when you plan to spend a day canning. Just smear dish washing liquid (I suppose any soap would do) all over the stove top and all those nasty splatters and spills will wipe right up at the end of the day.

Well I took a loaf of bread out of the oven a little while ago. I hope it's cooled off enough that I can bag it and go to bed.

Ok...the last part wasn't a tip, but was cool, so I included it! Thank God for people who pass on their homestead knowledge and encouragement to the next generation! Doesn't she know she has made me want to make some oatmeal bread now?!? And, just for the record, she makes the BEST pumpkin bread!!!!

1 comment:

  1. I would like to add that my mother also told me about shaking the eggs in the pan to break the shells...just last week. Must be a northern thing! :)

    ReplyDelete