Saturday, October 1, 2011

Pumpkin Meanderings

Ok...it is October. Good bye (mostly) ice cream and watermelon...bring on the pumpkin pie! A versatile food, pumpkin pie is! Of course it is tops for dessert, but also great for lunch and breakfast, with a little protein added on the side.
Homemade is best, heavy on the cinnamon and ginger, and hold the nutmeg and cloves, thanks! Seeing as how I am usually the cook, I get to make it how I like it. No one complains! I also use whole goat milk right out of the fridge instead of evaporated milk, and it works fine, though I reduce the amount a little. But...today is not about a recipe! Its about canned pumpkin, and pumpkin meanderings.

Only...I heard that canned pumpkin it is not actually what we normally think of as pumpkin, but more along the lines of butternut squash. I am thinking that companies must use Amish neck pumpkin of some sort. Basically, Amish neck pumpkins are gargantuan butternut squashes! And they taste wonderfully. I have grown Amish neck pumpkins before, but they require a LOT of room, so I went back to butternuts, which don't require near the space in the garden but are still quite prolific. The Amish neck pumpkins absolutely took things over in a scary way, while the butternuts simply gently meander.

Now...there was a canned pumpkin shortage a couple years ago, but I hope no one went without a homemade pumpkin pie if that is what you were wanting. You don't need to buy canned pumpkin...simply buy a butternut, bake as I instructed in a post not too long ago, and then proceed with your normal pie recipe. Regular large orange pumpkins tend to be stringy, so I avoid them if a butternut is available!

Happy October...may you always get real whipped cream on all your desserts, and not a splat of cool whip!

No comments:

Post a Comment