Thursday, October 6, 2011

Power Line Story

Here is a quick story about the electricity that emanates from the big power lines...this story is also from my dad!
In the back of my parent's property there is a river, and some major power lines are there as well. A snowmobile association asked my parents for permission to build a bridge across the river, and have half of it be on their property, and the other half on power line property. My parents said ok, and last year a large bridge was built...big enough to drive a loaded dump truck on. This was no small bridge! They used a large crane when they put the metal support I-beams across the river. The crane was tall, but still 30 feet from the over head power lines. One of the bridge workers grasped the crane's metal cable that was holding the I-beam, and got a nasty jolt of electricity through his arm and shoulder! In my father's words, "It almost threw him on his butt!"

The power in power lines is not contained strictly in the wires. Those lines are high voltage, and the aura of electricity around them must be respected.

No comments:

Post a Comment