Friday, August 5, 2011

Tomato and Rosemary-Starts and Cuttings

I am experimenting with tomato plants. The tomato plants in my garden are about spent, so I have taken cuttings from them and have them sitting in some water to root. The cuttings were from four to eight inches tall, and were at a point where growth was possible…not just a large leaf, but including the part where new growth generates. I also trimmed off all flowers, so the cuttings could put all their energy into growing roots. I need to check them today, and if roots are present, then I am going to plant them in some very damp potting soil for at least a week in order for them to be established before I set them out in the garden. We shall see what happens!

I am doing a similar experiment with one of my very old Rosemary plants whose flavor I really enjoy, but the plant is beyond woody and about on its last leg. I filled three plant pots with dirt, placed them beside the Rosemary plant and bent three sort-of healthy branches over into the dirt, burying the stems but leaving the leafy tips above the soil. I weighted the stems down with a rock, and kept the soil damp. I need to check for roots again soon…last I checked, nothing was sprouting in any of the pots. Time will tell. I bought another Rosemary plant earlier this year and it is growing well, but I prefer the flavor of the older plant. I hope at least one of the tips will sprout roots!

No comments:

Post a Comment