Thursday, August 11, 2011

Sprouting Tomato Update

In a post a few days ago, I wrote about putting my tomato cuttings in water for them to sprout roots. When I checked on them, however, I found that many of the stems had thoroughly rotted down to the waterline...squishy, brown, and stinky. Clearly, this wasn't working very well. SO...I got some potting soil and put it in a plastic bag. I drenched the potting soil, and put it to the side while I doctored the tomato cuttings. I took the cuttings and removed all the rotten parts from the stems. Next, I put the stems down the side of the plastic bag, between the potting soil and the plastic. I then flipped the bag over, so the potting soil was on and around the tomato stems. I waited several days and checked. This time, while a few of the plants had shriveled...a few of the tomato plants had vigorous root growth! Yay! I need to get them in a regular pot, but it has been storming all day so I haven't been able to get things together. It kind of looks like there may be a break in the weather, and I am done with this blog...so I am going to see if I can get those planted NOW!

No comments:

Post a Comment