Thursday, August 25, 2011

Gate Etiquette and Wisdom

Shut the gate behind you if it was closed when you went through it.

Leave the gate open if it was open when you went through it.

That is, unless you have authority over the gate and have a specific reason for deviating from the norm, or are someone else and were told to do otherwise. Then please don't forget the new instructions. This goes for walk-through and drive-through gates!

Whew. If family members and visitors would remember these very simple guidelines, then I suspect there would be fewer tense moments on a homestead! When my children were younger and would not shut gates behind them, I bought combination locks and installed them, and only my husband and I knew the combinations. The thought that 'Oh, I will close it when I come back through.' is lazy and dangerous, whether it is a child or an adult of any age. I understand that mistakes can happen, but lazy is a choice, and a foolish gamble. Having goats running down the road with a Great Pyrenees is not a good thing on so many levels! Its also illegal.

Gates are very useful, highly effective tools on a farm, yet they are very often taken for granted. Going through a gate requires a degree of responsibility that should not be taken lightly. Everything living thing on the other side of the fence is in the hands of the person who opens and closes the gate. That alone should be enough to make a person more aware and careful when passing through.

No comments:

Post a Comment