Saturday, August 6, 2011

Garden Prioritizing

I worked in the garden some yesterday…it was very hot outside, but I accomplished a few things! I had finally made up my mind to cut down the wild blueberry bush that grew in there. I kept it for a couple years, from the time we expanded the garden fence and it was included in the claimed territory. I kind of liked having it there, but as my garden matured, I realized the wild plant was taking up a considerable amount of space and sun that my domestic plants needed. We have numerous wild blueberry bushes growing outside the garden, so its not like the one in the garden was a rarity. Another problem with having that bush in my garden was that birds liked to nest in it. While I love wild birds, this further hindered my gardening as I did not want to disturb the nursery. Again, there are numerous other bushes for them to use as nesting sites! So…I got out my handy hedge trimmers, and began to cut it down. The term ‘it’ is inaccurate, as there are actually about ten little trunks growing that all worked together to form one clump. I got about 1/3 of it down, and fed the bushes to some very happy goats! I need to finish cutting it down, dig out the stumps, and then I think I will be planting cabbage and broccoli in that location.

My garden is the place for specialized plants to grow in a protected spot. The space comes at a premium, so for every foot of square space, I have to make sure it is being used the best I am able. Its about prioritizing!

No comments:

Post a Comment