Friday, September 2, 2011

Using Dish Soap to Detect Mastitis

I want to preface this by saying...I don't understand the mechanics behind why this works, only that for me, it has worked unfailingly!

If you have a lactating animal on your property that you suspect may have mastitis, there is a very easy and inexpensive test you can do that can give you immediate results. All you need is a small container, and a couple drops of hand dish soap. In my experience, any will do...Dawn, Joy, Palmolive, etc. Wash udder as normal. Milk out the first two or three squirts of milk from the suspect mammary gland and discard that milk. Then, from the same teat, milk two or three squirts into a small clean container. Add two or three drops of hand dish washing soap to the milk, and gently mix them by swirling them together. If mastitis is present, the milk will thicken noticeably and immediately. The more severe the infection, the thicker the milk gets...almost to a gel. If there is no change, there is no infection. Its that simple. I have found this test to be as effective than the California Mastitis test. It is best to test all the mammary glands on a suspected mastitis case...for cows, test all four quarters, and for sheep, goats, etc...test both sides.

I would like to add three things.

#1 Someone told me a long time ago that it depends what bacteria is causing the infection as to whether the soap test will work. I have had it work for infections that I know were caused by different bacteria. Just my experience here.

#2 I have personal experience with the soap test working with mastitis infections on cows, goats, and humans. I have no reason to believe it would not work for all mammals, if you can get enough milk!

#3 The soap test is not a treatment, just a diagnostic tool. If the test comes up positive, the creature that provided the milk sample must be treated to clear up the infection...it is miserable! Soreness, fever, whopping headache...and yes, I am speaking from experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment