Saturday, September 10, 2011

Jerusalem Artichokes in Fall

I really like my Jerusalem artichokes for several reasons. By this time of year these sunflower relatives have gotten quite tall, and are blooming. Their flowers look very similar to Black-Eyed Susans, but the Jerusalem artichoke blooms have a distinct chocolate-y fragrance. Unfortunately, they have no flavor of chocolate to them...and yes, I did try a nibble just to make sure! What if, you know...? :)
Through the summer, I tried to keep the edges trimmed, feeding them to the goats who relish the clippings. The stalks send out new spouts when they are clipped, right below the cut mark. I should have done more clipping, because with high wind or heavy rains, the tall stalks fall over. We have had the wind and rain, and now the stalks have fallen and made a mess in my garden as they block paths. So...the goats have gotten a considerable amount of clippings these past few days! The tubers should be just fine under the ground for me to dig as I please when it gets cooler. Falling, blooming, Jerusalem Artichoke stalks...another reminder that the seasons are changing.

2 comments:

  1. I like them every now and then in my salad...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The tubers that is - Not a big fan of the greens I let you feed those to the live stalk.

    ReplyDelete