Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Buying and Storing Potatoes

I guess most of us know that potatoes must be stored in darkness, or they will begin to sprout. Also, if they are exposed to sunlight for any length of time, then the exposed part will turn green and bitter.
I was told by an acquaintance of mine a while ago that a good place to store potatoes is in a cardboard box. It kind of breathes, and keeps the light out. A lot of us don't have access to a root cellar, or at least not where I live. Someday I may make one...I don't know yet. For now, I have my cardboard box. If that isn't available, I try to put them in a brown paper bag and close the top. Definitely is best to to remove the potatoes from the plastic bag first, or they are more likely to have water condense on the inside of the plastic and rot.
My friend also told me that when buying potatoes from a store, remember that fluorescent lights mimic sunlight enough to turn potato skins green, if the potatoes are stored in a clear plastic bag. Since most potatoes I buy are indeed in clear plastic bags, and most stores use fluorescent lighting, I think it is best to select a bag of potatoes that is one layer under the top layer, especially if you like to eat your potato skins!

No comments:

Post a Comment