Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Aphids

Aphids are messy and very prolific. They come in different bright colors, and can really damage a plant's health. The form large clusters on the underside of leaves and tender stems, sucking out the plant juice. I have watched bright orange aphids at my mother-in-law's house giving birth to tiny bright orange clones of themselves. Fascinating, but each one was still worthy of being squished!

I found an aphid infestation on one of my pepper plants a few days ago. I wasn't really looking for them, and it was the presence of another insect species that tipped me off about their presence...ants. Ants by the dozens were busily ascending and descending my pepper plant...a pretty good sign of aphids. The ants are not after the aphids themselves, but rather the sweet honey-dew liquid that aphids secrete. They love the stuff!

To get rid of them, I got my spray bottle of soapy water and let them have it. Actually...I asked my husband to do it, because I was busy pulling more hornworms off the other pepper plant...five of them!!! Why are the insects nailing my poor pepper plants all of a sudden??? Anyway...today I looked, and I believe the soapy water did the trick. Now my pepper plants can live in peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment