Saturday, February 26, 2011

Wing Trimming

The Escapee


This White Faced Black Spanish hen has decided that she should be allowed to come and go as she pleases. Hurmpf saith I.


She manages to fly up to the gate (a good 5 feet) and then jump out and gorge herself on bugs, grass, etc. The only problem with her running loose? Predators. They come in many varieties. We have dealt with dogs (domesticated) who decimated our flock - killing off 30 chickens in 3 different attacks. Panthers, (yes panthers) who thought my free ranging hens were a buffet to go. Opossums and raccoons (who managed to snatch my white Aracuna's tail feathers, while she was inside Fort Poultry!



Obviously needed to enhance the Fort, which was done and I will review again this evening, but back to my Fleeing Fowl...I spotted a dog in the yard yesterday afternoon and shooed him off (would have preferred to shoot him) but realized Lady Layer was apt to be safer (somewhat) inside the confines of her yard. So, what to do...trim one wing, then the chickens should not be able to get much 'air' underneath them.


The Culprit
The Wing
The first cut...
...the second cut


Done

I found this on youtube which gives a brief video demonstration.

No comments:

Post a Comment