Thursday, February 17, 2011

The Benefits of Culturing When Dealing With Mastitis

If you have lactating animals, sooner or later one of them will come down with mastitis. Usually, treating with penicillin or Bio-Mycin will quickly clear up the infection. If it doesn’t, you could save yourself time, effort, and money…and shorten the time for your animal suffering by having the milk cultured to find out what bacteria type is at the root of the problem.

I had a goat that had a bad case of mastitis, and nothing was working to clear it up. I used penicillin, Bio-Mycin, Today , homeopathic remedies...all to no avail. People told me she would never be over the infection, or that maybe I should even consider amputating that half of her udder! Instead, I had my large animal vet send a sample of the milk off to a lab to be cultured. The results showed that the goat had a staph infection which would only respond to erythromycin. When I began to treat her with it, the infection improved dramatically in a few days...and within 10 days it was gone! I was so excited to have the infection finally cleared up! The goat still has some lumpy scarring in her udder, but other than that she recovered completely and remains one of my best milkers.

So…if you have a milking animal who comes down with mastitis that doesn’t respond quickly to the basic treatments, I would encourage you to have the milk tested to see what kind of bacteria you are dealing with.

No comments:

Post a Comment