Sunday, February 27, 2011

How to Detect Ulcers in Horses

When a horse has an ulcer, it can be very difficult to detect.  The signs are often subtle and can indicate other problems.  If you have been following this blog long, you know that Max has been dealing with diarrhea since the first week of January 2011.  He is still dealing with diarrhea. 

Most horses would have been dead by now, but Max is like the energizer bunny...he just keeps going and going and going!  Until last week, that is...he could no longer walk...he could not lay down, because then he would not get up...he stopped eating...he stopped drinking...I knew this was the end.

I called the vet on her cell.  Yes, I now have a direct line to reach the vet at any time.  I told her that after two hours of trying, I could not get Max to walk.  We broke down the round pen and brought it to the horse.  I also told her that he was stretching in an unusual manner...like a dog!  He would lean WAYYYY FORWARD...and then WAYYYYYY BACKWARDS...as far as he could go.  And then he would lift his head WAYYYY high, like he was trying to see something far off.  Each time he did this, I was so afraid that he was going to fall because he had no coordination.  He honestly was walking like a drunk!

My vet asked how quickly I could get to her office.  My reply:  15 minutes.  She said good.  When I arrived, they handed me a bag of Ulcer Guard.  She instructed me to give him 1/2 a tube each day on an empty stomach.  I knew this was probably our last option.

When I arrived home, I gave him his medicine right away.  Since he had not eaten in over 24 hours, I knew I was giving him the medicine on an empty stomach.  Within 24 hours, I saw some improvement.  I began to hope...again.  From the 24 hour to the 48 hour time span, I saw the MOST improvement!  His coordination improved greatly and his appetite returned with vigor!  He is now eating six pounds of feed per day and cleans his hay up most of the time.  He is beginning to walk with confidence and his poops are solid cow pies!  My only concern now is his water consumption.  He is drinking about a gallon of water per hour.  This has been going on for about two days.  I have sent a message to the vet and I will let you know what she says about his increased water consumption.  For now, he is doing better...and once again, I have great hope that he will make it through this just fine!

No comments:

Post a Comment