Thursday, February 10, 2011

Inexpensive Goat Collars

Goat Collars…Progressive Revelation

Sometimes, cheap is best. Or, maybe, ‘ingenuity’ is a better term. If you come to our farm, you will see that our dairy goats have the cheapest collars imaginable. They are strong enough to give good control of the animal when needed, but in the event of an emergency they are likely to break should the animal get hung up on a branch or something. Its amazing how much they look like baling twine. Probably because that is what they are made from! Ugly? Yes! Cheap? Yes! Effective? Yes! My first choice in goat collars? No! But there was another entity that made its opinion known and changed my goat collar program. That would be Maximus, my Great Pyrenees flock guardian dog. I used to have nice-looking nylon web collars. Max did not like them, and chewed off and destroyed almost every collar that I put on the goats! So, I tried the plastic chain link collars. Max again said “Nope!” and ate those, too. I don’t know how he managed to get them off the goats, but I know he did…many times. We never caught him in the act, but found a lot of chewed-up evidence! So, we went to using baling twine. When he chews those off, we just put another one right back on. He seems to have pretty much stopped at this point, though. Maybe he realized that there was no way he could keep up!

No comments:

Post a Comment