Sunday, February 13, 2011

Day 35 of Colitis X

My horse has been through so much and now he is now fighting Colitis X.  This is a fancy way of saying he has sever diarrhea with an unknown cause.  Interestingly enough, it has a fatality rate of 100% after three days.  Max has been fighting this for 35 days so far.  As you can tell, he has forgotten to read the Merck manual!

We have tried every medication on the market.  We are now trying old time remedies.  We have been giving him yogurt with raw eggs.  And we have been giving him buttermilk and eggs.  Last night I gave him dried cabbage leaves which he will not eat, so I guess that is not going to work.  I have been mixing enzymes in his morning yogurt.  I think I will increase that to twice a day.

Is what we are doing working?  Only time will tell.  What we have observed in the past 9 days since Max was discharged from ICU and brought home is he will now eat.  He is now eating 1.5 quarts of oats per feeding.  We are now feeding him three times a day.  He won't eat anything but oats...so oats it is for now.  I do have barley on order and I will introduce that later this week. 

Another improvement:  He only goes potty once an hour to an hour and a half.  It is a LARGE volume that he will pass...like a gallon or two at a time.  Before he had a continuous drip and passing of gas.  Now things are staying in his system longer.  I'm hopeful that is a good sign. 

Today I will be adding Slippery Elm to his morning yogurt.  I'm hopeful that will benefit him.  I will let you know later this week how things are going.  We continue to take this one day at a time.  I'm thankful for each day that I have my horse and I keep praying for his diarrhea to be cured.  If you have any suggestions, please let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment