Saturday, February 11, 2012

Don't put your EGGS all in ONE basket!

We learned a lesson last night...thankfully it was not a 'hard' lesson.  As I got up to let the dogs out and check on the chicks, all was well.  That was at 1:00 am.

At 8:00 am I thought I heard a cat in with the chicks.  Now we have over 200 birds as another 125 arrived on Friday.  So I'm laying in bed thinking that it is cold and I'm wondering if the wood stove is out and if I really need to check on those birds.  Since it was over $500.00 in birds, I decided to get out of the warm bed and see what was going on out there.  I was thankful to learn there were no cats!  I was not so happy to see that there were no heat lamps on however!!!

Our son had plugged all of the heat lamps into one power strip which stopped working!  Thus, all of the chickens were without heat on a night where the low was below freezing!  It looked like we had lost several birds, but with quick work of extension cords and warm honey water, we have not lost a single bird!

With the low dropping to the teens over the next few nights, I'm very thankful we learned not to use only one power strip before the lows were WAY low!  I hope someone will benefit from this lesson.

Remember...don't plug all of your heat lamps into ONE power strip!  If you blow a fuse, you chicks will have no heat lamps!

No comments:

Post a Comment