Thursday, March 3, 2011

Lesson Learned

I was mentally kicking myself for allowing the situation to happen. I SHOULD have known better! I do know better! Where was my brain?!?!?!


I have 3 types of chicken situations:

  1. 'Regular' chicken coop with a yard, which has a safe environment for the chickens to roost at night, nesting boxes and opens up into a chicken yard. Approximately 30 x 30 (maybe larger);
  2. Fort Poultry - this is 2 cinder blocks high with a 'baby pen' on top (1/4 inch hardware cloth) and keeps all predators from snacking on my fledglings and pullets;
  3. Portable coop - 1" chicken wire, with solid sides, moves around the yard allowing the chickens to 'free roam' without the danger of predators swooping in or running through and having buffet to go.
Fort Poultry - meant to be a temporary situation until the pullets were old enough to 'free roam' and not stick their heads out and get them broken off by hawks, owls and other types of predators (raccoon and possum). They get my feed mixture, but no fresh grass.


Portable coop - mature hens (whose heads won't go through the 1" wire), ready to lay, receive my feed mixture, and have fresh grass/bugs daily as they are moved.


Regular coop - receives the same feed mixture, however, no free ranging on fresh grass.


Which is where my problem started. Occasionally I let the RC gals (and 1 guy) out to free range and eat fresh grass, which is what I did yesterday.


Then, I needed to put new hay, fill the water and feed container for the Fort...and decided I would 'lift' the lid of the cage and allow them out. This particular pen has 5 pullets and 1 cockerel.


Enter the problem...2 roosters out, loose. Cockerel not too concerned about the other rooster and/or his hens. Older rooster eyes the new 'ladies' and decides he wants to sweet talk her. She is resistant, he pursues. Chases her into the woods, ravishes her and then returns


Minus the pullet...which made me think of the story of Dinah (Genesis 34) who went out to see the daughters of the land and was violated.


Wait for the pullet to come dragging back in...go out into the woods and try to spot her...wait longer. Come back out and hear her 'calling' to her sisters. They are answering, but she does not come out of the woods. Rats! Getting darker, she is going to roost out in the woods and and probably get eaten.


GREAT! Just great...another pullet almost ready for laying (and paying back all that feed!) and now gone. All because I was not diligent. **sigh**


Prayed about it...my son prayed about it...last night and today. Looked around this morning. Nope, no hen. Well, okay Lord, lesson learned...will be more diligent next time and NO mixing.


Went out later this morning and lo and behold, who was nipping fresh grass in the yard?



Did NOT try to catch her...came inside and found some old oriental noodles and went out to the portable pens that she was hanging close by...and gave THEM some...she of course wanted some. Opened one of the doors to the portable coop, tossed noodles inside...edged around and slightly behind her...causing her to move away from me and towards the open door. All the while praying, O Lord, PLEASE do not allow the other pullets to come out.


Finally, she steps over the threshold and is IN! Yes! Thank you Lord. WHEW! Now she will have some adjusting today as the other hens are on 'their' turf, but she is safe and will make it through. I am so thankful!


Which reminded me of this verse:


Mat 10:29 Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? and one of them shall not fall on the ground without your Father.


If HE is looking out and noticing sparrows...He is taking care of wayward pullets as well...how much more me? AND confirming HIS guiding and protecting hand in all situations and circumstances.


No comments:

Post a Comment