Tuesday, March 22, 2011

The First Homestead Books to Read!

If you are starting out homesteading knowing nothing about animal sickness problems, assisting in a difficult birthing, etc...and you find the thought of dealing with these inevitable situations overwhelming, there is a series of books I highly recommend! Highly technical? Nope! Easy to find at any new or used bookstore? Yep! Covers all types of livestock and situations? Yes! Lengthy but easy to read? You bet!

The books I recommend? The entire series of James Herriot’s books, beginning with ‘All Creatures Great and Small’. For those not familiar with him...James Herriot was a livestock veterinarian in England for many years, starting in the 1930's, I believe. He was also a talented writer who wrote of his many experiences, for which I am grateful. Now, I don’t believe the author ever intended the books to be instruction manuals on how to deal with problems that arise on the homestead. Yet, time and time again when people talk to me of what books have helped them most in starting out with livestock…it was not any technical ‘How to’ book, but rather Herriot’s books! I believe this is for several reasons.

First…the books are not technical, but rather an honest look at what was going on in a situation, and how he honestly felt about it. He describes the wounds, symptoms, weather, animal’s behavior, etc. His descriptions tell you what you need to be looking for in a situation.

Second…he tells exactly what he did in the situation, and how it turned out. And he will say exactly how he felt in the situation…afraid, exasperated, apprehensive. He even admits…sometimes he didn’t know the answer, but needed time to think about what was going on. He paid attention to little things, and sometimes those were the key to solving the problem at hand.

His books, for me, are a pleasant read and among my favorites. I have read a lot of livestock books and magazines, but when I am dealing with symptoms of an uncertain cause or a difficult birthing situation, his books are what comes to my mind, first. There is so much to glean from his writings that can help people who are newly starting their own homestead!

No comments:

Post a Comment