Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Simple Manure Composting

Horse biscuits. Cow pies. Llama beans. Nanny berries.

I see a trend! Maybe all these names are wishful thinking, but maybe not! Properly prepared, each of these really can be wonderful ingredients to some of your favorite recipes! Oh…come on…I haven’t lost it. I am simply talking compost, and using the manure pile to enrich your garden. It HAS to be a simple process, or quite frankly I am not going to do it. Here is how I handle turning manure into black gold. I pick a spot that is shady and a little damp, if available. For one year, that is where I dump everything from my animal pens when I clean them, generally dumping it to form a thick row. The following year, I begin a new row a few feet from the other row. When I need the richest, darkest, best and cheapest compost for my garden…I head for the oldest part of the compost pile! It is the same place I head or send others to when they need fishing worms, as they thrive in the pile! It’s that simple.

So…yes…I am turning my nanny berries into baked squash, cucumber relish, sweet corn, and strawberry rhubarb pie! And fried fish…

No comments:

Post a Comment